samedi 16 octobre 2021

wood work

 Hello

this week I'm playing with As you like it and i'm showing a non card project.

a couple of years back, my father teached me how to cut wood with a scroll saw. wood working is my father's great passion and i could tell it meant a lot that i was interested in that.

At first i was terrified by the speed of the saw, the fingers move too near; and sometimes, the plank you're trying to cut starts shaking, the sound is quite loud too, there are so many reasons to send you into panic when you're not used to it. at first i manoeuvred my planks in the distance, with a stick and with gloves! but my creations were not very beautiful. i cut wood hearts that actually looked like potatoes. 

i gradually learnt to move my wood pieces with my fingers and with more precision, i covered my ears, so that the sound wouldn't distract me, and i did that when no one was home so i could fully concentrate!

i finally made a sculpture for my mom's birthday, to celebrate her talent in jam making. i wanted to make something very delicate and minute. with 2 varnishes i could make different tones of colour. i had no idea which varnish to buy, i just chose 2 small pots of "wood varnish" from a supermarket. i printed out a jam pot that i glued on some cardboard. the wood for the fruit is pine. for my mom i used plywood. i used my craft stash to glue her name on the log with sequins, write the sentiment with my Posca on the label "jam expert" and the twine to tie it around the fruit! once a crafter, always a crafter !

I painted her hair with brown acrylic paint, then drew the face with a pen

i also learnt to pierce holes in a thin wood label, and believe me that's nooot easy cause when you touch a label with a spinning tool, the label flies away in the air. i learnt that you must carve a little mark first and then pierce the hole. that way the label stays in place.

this sculpture was a real challenge for me but it meant so much cause it was for my mom and I also wanted my dad to see the result of his teaching


I'm entering this project in As you like it non car project challenge




1 commentaire:

Sarah a dit…

Wow, this is an absolutely sensational piece!! Thank you so much for sharing at AYLI. Sarah DT